View Single Post
Old 24-02-14, 00:05
Centurion nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
What about Ile Sainte-Hélène Garrison in Montréal ? Any info on that ? When did it cease to be a military installation ?
I don't recall if there was any mention of the Ile Sainte-Hélène Garrison in the book. If there was, I didn't make any notes about it.

Quote:
Saint-Bruno rifle ranges ?
Same answer, but both Ile Sainte-Hélène and Saint-Bruno could have been mentioned under different names, if they were a part of a larger grouping. Two of the Montreal garrisons of which I have absolutely no knowledge are Chabanel and La Salle. I don't even know what the locations of these two were.

Quote:
Any idea when Farnham Garrison started as a training base for the Militia ?
Camp Farnham and Infantry Training Centre A-12

On 4 Aug 1940 the decision was made to establish a second military camp in MD 4 to be located at the militia training area near Farnham. Colonel AT Howard was appointed its first CO on 13 Aug 1940 and the site, comprising 6,000 acres, was refurbished during August and September. NPAM training began on 9 Oct 1940, with recruits from Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke, Le Regiment de St Hyacinthe and Le Regiment de Joliette attending. After the 1941 reorganization of the Canadian Army training system*, five basic training camps sent their graduates to the Infantry Training Centre at Farnham; St Jean, Sherbrooke, Joliette, Sorel and St Jerome. Howard was succeeded by Colonel Wright in 1943, who commanded until 1946. The camp was reduced to nil strength on 14 Jul 1946, and active operations ended on 1 October.

A Reserve Force School opened at Farnham in (September or October) 1946, administered by the R22eR. Army Cadet summer camps begin in July, 1947. Also in 1947 a second Reserve Force School (an Armoured Brigade Camp) opens. The size of post-war Camp Farnham, which included the former internment camp site, is now 17 square miles (10,880 acres). Governor General Vanier presented new Colours to the 4e and 6e Bns, R22eR, in late July, 1966. The Cadet camp moved to CFB Valcartier for the 1968 summer training period. Many of the original Farnham buildings have been demolished. The camp is still used (as of 1980) for militia training and by the CF Recruit School located at CFB St Jean.

* Redesignated A12 Canadian Infantry Training Centre on 15 Feb 1941.

As the book notes, the NPAM training centre was established on a site already used for militia training. I don't recall if it was mentioned when DND originally purchased the land, but it was expanded in 1940. I recall the book also mentioned some details about the internment camp, but I didn't record any.

Cheers,
Dan.