Thread: Jeep colours
View Single Post
Old 11-10-07, 15:12
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Jeep paint

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric B
The Original CDN Contract Jeeps were repainted when they arrived in Britian when they were assembled. NOS Parts for these have been seen in two different colours. I would agree with Bruce that some possibly could be Khaki.

Some were Mickey Mouse while others were a foilage pattern. As you can see there is a great deal of debate on the colours used.
Eric,

Do you imply:
1) CDN contract jeeps were given an entire repaint upon assembly in the UK? Or, in camouflaging terms: were given a new base colour?
2) Or do you mean they were painted with a camouflage colour on top of the base colour applied when manufactured?
The latter is the case as I understand it.

There is evidence to sustain the claim that all - not some - Canadian Contract jeeps were painted Khaki Green 3 when manufactured. Ref. the thread Canadian contract jeeps:
Quote:
In Maple Leaf Jeeps (Wheels & Tracks issue no.1), Bart Vanderveen writes (bold font added by me):
  • "Our copy of Parts List TM-10-1512 of April 1942 (Willys-Overland MB 'Government Truck') has a rear pocket containing a Parts Price List and two separate lists of (a) Parts peculiar to the US Marine Corps Truck and (b) Parts peculiar to the Light Utility Vehicle built for the Canadian Government. Both lists give different parts numbers for scores of items, many of which differed from the US Army versions only in colour. Included are such major assemblies as the frame, the body and others such as hood (bonnet) and windshield (windscreen)."