View Single Post
Old 08-08-03, 04:59

Default David Hayward...need your help...

Bonjour Monsieur Hayward

Been working on my C15 Cab 11 .... finally removed the nose piece and can now send you numbers found on the replacement engine in that truck.

If you recall it is a GMC that appears bigger than a 216.... migth it be an elusive 270 c.i.....

Starting from the top..... head has the following casting numbers

....... BK.........J64................ 2136477

On the block behing the exhaust pipe.......

GMC 2 6107328

and on a same silver(aluminum?) plate

GMC Truck & Coach Div.
General Motors Corporation
Pontiac Michigan
Serial NO
(hand stamped) G 5502 (same # appears next to dist.)

Bore Stroke Cyl

3 23/32 3 13/16 6
Made in USA

Now what have I got??????

While you got your nose in the books.....

.... I have a parts ex water truck.... only the power train/ frame but it has the (maybe) original 216.... my first one....

....number on the pad near dist. 193587

..... does that number make any sense???? engine has a shallow oil pan...6 blade fan....tranny is std GM 590474 similar to my Cab 11 but has the power takeoff for the pump I presume ... but no pump.

...and another techy question.... in my search for rebuilding a 1958 Chev truck 261 ... it was suggested that I locate the heads with the following last 3 digit in the casting numbers....
- - - 848 .... which apparently have somewhat smaller combustion chambers and may raise my compression ratio......

...well it seems that I have two of them on the re-engined parts trucks I have acquired.... one is Block number GM 764476 with the Captain's bar behind the starter..making it a 261??
the full head casting # is 3836848.

What pearl of wisdom can you share about these heads????

As usual your precious help and experience will be greatly appreciated.
Canada