View Single Post
Old 20-01-13, 03:23
Mr. HUP

Default Moving Day at the Barn

It was a very snowy morning in Hammond. The forecasters called or mild temperatures and a "dusting"of snow. We ended up with at least four inches of the blasted stuff! After feeding Lucifer, I unloaded a good amount of CMP treasures into the new sea container.

The focus today at the barn was to extricate the 45 HUP from its broken down shelter and into the high cube sea container. We put together a metal shelf and attached it to the far wall. Next was filling the shelf with HUP goodies that had up to now been taking up valuable space in my garage at home. For some reason this took up most of the morning.

After a great lunch in Rockland, Bob fired up his tractor and proceeded to throw the snow, while Grant turned his attention to removing snow from the various shelters. I busied myself removing the front of the 45 shelter and thawing out the fuel squeeze ball for my boat tank. Seems that plastic does not like the cold... Grant used his Ford to haul the HUP from the shelter so that I could see what needed to be done to finally fire up the HUP. After a boost and a little quick start, the old HUP fired up. After a few minutes of warming up, I swung the truck around and lined up with the opening. We used Bob's metal ramps to make the initial entry. Once the truck was in and shut down, Bob realized that being in front of the truck wasn't a really good idea. No safety issues, but one of space. Bob had to climb over the front of the HUP and enter the rear hatch to get out of the sea container. He is pretty spry for an old guy!

Grant did a great job digging around the shelter to free the tarps from their icy grips. Bob nosed the tractor up to the leaning side of the shelter and pushed it back and lifted it up. This permitted Grant and I to remove the near side legs and pull the pins on the far side legs. We then removed the roof and lowered the remaining frame to the ground where we took it apart.

The intact tarps were folded up and stored away. The old shelter material was sent to the dump. The legs and frame parts were wrapped up and stored until the spring.

Photos:
1 - Bob (6'2" tall) sizing up the sea can
2 - Bob taking a photo of me taking a photo of him
3 - A forelorn shelter
4 - Disassembly
5 - The remains of the day
Attached Thumbnails
bob lost.jpg   cam bob.jpg   misery.jpg   dsassemble.jpg   remains.jpg