View Single Post
Old 13-02-16, 16:58
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Do you know if there was a post war (1950 onwards) Dutch motor vehicle law that directed that vehicles have proper doors fitted with windows? If so, then there should be lots of examples of coach built doors on left over or ceded CMPs - in theory at least. I ask only because I surmise that it would take a bit of work by a good body man to change the doors and add the side front windows. Why do it unless directed to do so? Or perhaps it was a necessity given the damp weather one may find in Holland during three seasons? Adding a weather tight door and good window certainly would address weather issues.
Rob,

There were no laws necessitating ex-military vehicles to be converted. After the war there were hardly any motor vehicles left, as the country had been robbed of anything valuable by the Germans.
So people running a business had to get a permit which gave them the right to buy a surplus military truck from the stock left at Deelen and other Canadian Army collection yards. There was not a lot to choose from, it was either taking the next in line or nothing.
Many vehicles were converted, chassis lengthened, other bodies fitted etc. to make them fit for purpose and then they were driven to death until newly built vehicles came onto the market.

The surviving truck was used by a garage in Lommel in the North of France, so conversions were not a typical Dutch thing, although CMPs were used more here than in other places because of the large Canadian dumps. Cabs were converted to increase crew comfort - The Netherlands has a sea climate with precipitation throughout the year - or possibly replace damaged cabs. These vehicles were used for transport not only locally, but on transport lines throughout the country and into the rest of Europe. I think the similarity stems from the fact that common coach building practices were applied building your prototype and the post-war conversions.

Here are some more pictures from other threads on here like Dutch CMPs and CMPs from all over postwar.

Coach-built doors on Cab 13:

All new coach-built cab fitted: