View Single Post
Old 09-04-09, 04:05
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default Window Curtain Frame for my F8

Bob,
I checked out the rods on Mac's site and they won't work on my F8; they're not the shape needed. The 1/2" holes on the top of the door sill are right at each end of the top door sill. On both the vertical latch and hinge sides of the doors are counter-sunk holes where a screw would go to hold each rod or tube frame piece in a vertical position.

I'm assuming that a cross piece fitted into the top of each vertical "post" to keep the top of the curtain ridgid. (Although I say vertical, the post of the windshield side of the door needs to have a bend in it to accomdate the sloping angle of the windshield frame.)

There are four snap rings on the inside of the door frame above the hinge side of the door for the back side of the curtain to snap into. Likewise there are 3 on the outside of the door itself to fasten down the bottom of the curtain. The curtain snaps for these are available from Mac's.

The curtain I have must be a later model as there are no snaps to attach it to the edge of the windshield frame. These were present on the frame on my F8 before we redid the windshield but have yet to replace them. These are available form Mac's as well.

This later model curtain must have been designed to take the place of the earlier model that snaped onto the windshield frame as it would have been a royal pain to unsnap them from inside the cab through the door latch opening when trying to open the door.

I think what I'll probably do is find some 1/2" OD pipe to make the frame as 1/2" solid rod would be a bit heavy. I'll need to drill and tap screw holes for the screws that will hold the pipe frames vertical.

I did notice that there are rod sockets listed on Mac's that might be what originally went into these 1/2" holes but am not sure. Use of these would cause the size of the curtain support "rods" to be somewhat less than 1/2" in diameter.

Regards,
Jim