View Single Post
Old 12-02-09, 03:49

Default Slight C8 progress, and a question...

Hello,
Slow progress being made on the chassis of my C8 as I can find time, but any progress is better than none.
Front springs got sorted out, as they were cobbled together with no two leaves matching on either side except for the primaries. A set of partial rear spring packs from a 1/2 ton Dodge Weapon Carrier fit wonderfully.
Front knee action shocks were frozen solid! An hour or so with some fresh shock oil, and some not-too-gentle persuasion and they were good as new.
A pair of suitabe front axle stops were made from crusty 3/4 ton Dodge WC units with a little work on the bench grinder. The 65 year old rubber was like new just under the surface.
Had a question about the original arrangement of the rear axle stops: Was browsing photos of other C8's and noticed the one in the photo had cast or stamped brackets outboard of the frame for the rear axle stops,(circled in red). These align with the cast pieces on top of the rear springs that look like they should have the rubber stops installed on them also.
My C8 has brackets rivetted under the frame with the rubber stops, but also has holes in the frame for outboard brackets. My existing ones look useless, as the rear suspension would never be able to compress far enough for them to contact the rear axle.
So, my long-winded question is which type of arrangement would be correct for a C8?
Many Thanks, David
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0638.JPG   DSCF0637.jpg   img_4404.jpg   DSCF0644.JPG