Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert condick View Post
Hi Mike
the Ambulances were sold off by the Army c1948,
So they would be fairly "new" stock,
As for removing the body the add would surges this,

pictured (farly certain)an ex 2AACC Ambulance, WD no. A1205131, AMF no. 76142, 50236,
this would have displayed both the WD number, and AMF no. (above) on the bonnet sides. Sold by Larke Hoskins.
I am still trying to track this one down.

Larke Hoskins purchased most in NSW, as about only 70 came to Australia,
Being split with Queensland, one or two going to Victoria and South Australia,

there is a film FO1986 of the ones in Queensland.
also a film wich I cannot find of one in Darwin around the time of the bombing.
Ok interesting. The date of disposal/sale you mentioned is rather late for odd bod vehicles but being Ambulances they probably had a extended period of grace . Generally. the army policy was to standardize on vehicle types that had a reliable back up of spares i.e. CMPs . Stuff like Morris and Austin and other odd bod makes were usually disposed of very quickly, even while the war was still in progress. The Disposals Commission report of May 1945 (when the war was still on) declared they had already sold around 3000 vehicles with a planned sales number of 1000 per month .

The 2 pounder Morris Portees were sold off in early/mid 1945 , the red ink dates of sale are to be seen in AWM126, just above the Morris sales is the list of Austin K2/Y sales to Larke Hoskins.

My Morris PU 8cwt was civilian registered in July 1945, I have its original Victorian reg. certificate. I have no knowledge of its previous military service or when or how this Morris arrived in Australia.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad