View Single Post
Old 09-11-11, 14:50

Hi everyone! (my first post)
I am scratchbuilding this truck in 1/43 scale, and have some questions about frame dimensions.
According to the dealer’s handbook, for the US-produced commercial truck, the frame maximum width is 36”, getting narrower at the cab section, down to 25 7/16” at the forward point. I scaled down these dimensions, and finally got a construction, looking not the same as well-known 1/35 kit by Tamiya. Upscaling the tamiya kit frame, we have these dimensions like 37,7” and 34,5”…
The visual difference can be seen at my picture.
Due to the lack of information, I have to use the Tamiya kit as 3D drawings, and, already discovered some mistakes, like the spare wheel is not placed in its originally position, in the aft left platform corner, due to omitted cutout in the aft left wheel housing. Due to this mistake, none of built kits I’ve seen, have the rightly positioned spare wheel. But, in general, this is a great kit.

My question is, whether the frame had any visible modifications (e.g., extended width) to meet some military requirements, for Canadian built machines?

Another question is about fenders size and shape. They are a bit shorter, and also look wider, than for the commercial model, for the wider tires use, I suppose. Could anyone confirm my idea? And, how much in mm, or inches, was this difference?

Also, the engine hood is looking a bit wider at the firewall station, or am I wrong?

Appreciate for any picture of the chassis, and maybe a factory drawings… I would buy, if they could be sold.

By the way, many thanks for valuable photos and information in this thread!!!
Attached Thumbnails
chassis.JPG   Chevy 1533X2 30CWT.JPG  

Last edited by Igor Shadrin; 09-11-11 at 14:55.