Thread: Jailbar Ford...
View Single Post
Old 30-05-03, 10:28
former Resident Historian

Default Civilian 1942-45 trucks

Hanno, nice to hear from you. We went by Tunnel to Calais on Thusday, 28th May, and drove past Dunkirk into Belgium. I said to my wife that we could easily have carried on in our car to the other side of Belgium and thence to the Netherlands to see you! So, we will sometime! It was my first taste of driving a rhd vehicle in a country where you have to drive on the right, and there were no problems at all and it even had advantages when needing to view the right side of the road. I respect even more you guys who own CMPs and how you drive them on your own local roads.

Now, there were releases of civilian pattern trucks to essential users during the period 1942-45, although the emphasis seems to have been away from GM of Canada as I only know of one special production of civilian 3-tonners in August 1944 in Oshawa. Fords may well therefore have had a much greater schedule of civilian style trucks for Government use, although it would appear that Chrysler of Canada produced civilian style trucks throughout.