View Single Post
Old 04-04-16, 03:34
Lionel G. Evans

Default Chevrolet MCP 3 Ton Lorries G.S. (Australian)

Hello All,

I have a 1940 Australian - Holden manufactured cabin and tray Chevrolet 3 Ton "Lorry" (Truck). Were these trucks imported to Australia in a knock-down version of just the running gear, chassis and firewall? Once they arrived then Holden assembled them and added the cabin and tray.

According to the Australian War Memorial my truck is from the same stable as:
ID number 127795
Collection type Photograph
Object type Black & white
Physical description Black & white
Description AUSTRALIA. LORRIES, 3-TON G.S. (AUSTRALIAN). CHEVROLET. QUARTER FRONT VIEW, RIGHT SIDE. Accessed April 4th 2016 from, https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/127795

When I went to the General Motors Heritage website they have the Technical Specifications Manual (page 8) for the "1940" trucks it only shows that their "Heavy Duty" trucks go up to 1.5 Tons. Accessed April 4th 2016 from https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...olet-Truck.pdf

Is there meant to be another type of truck that the GM Heritage site missed out on? Or are the 3 ton Lorries for the Australian Army a Canadian sourced cousin to the Chevrolet Maple Leaf trucks - if not the GMC trucks?

It just seems strange to me that the GM Heritage place has only one listing for Chevrolet Trucks 1940 and they finish at their "Heavy Duty" being half the capacity of the Australian Army General Service truck?

Looking closely at the photograph and back at my truck I think I might have the remnants of an original tray because the rope tie rails look very much the same. They still have green paint on them too - and that "green paint" must certainly mean that it is military

Kind Regards
Lionel
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet 1940 3 ton Lorries G.S (AWM).jpg  
Series III ex-Military Land Rovers x 2