View Single Post
Old 19-07-07, 12:13
former Resident Historian

Default Aussie Fords

Australian Fords were first sold here in 1966 I seem to recall..I did an article once for RESTORED CARS. There are two companies selling them here: http://www.dreamscience.co.uk/html/home.html

and also Coleman-Milne who sell V-8 limos, hearse conversions, etc. The last cars that were sold here officially were the 1980 LTDs with the 352LC Windsor, i.e. Canadian, V-8.

I regret to say that Fords have totally wiped-out British Ford car manufacture, and Dagenham is a diesel engine factory, with Bridgend, Wales as a V-8 factory. We have thje local Transit van factory in Swaythling, Southampton, and they even do exports, but it's virtually a screwdriver operation. However, it has been under threat in the past and the effect on the economy locally would have been immense. That's why local politicians kick up whenever ther has ben a crisis.

It is however a sad day for Ford in Australia and Australia generally. You have the GM plant producing more and more engines for worldwide export, and the assembly plant building "Chevrolets" for export. However it seems that at the end of the day Ford and GM will always look to their core N Amefrican operations, and if that means shoring up engine plants at the detriment of overseas, then that's tough. Jaguar is being hived-off, Volvo is up for sale...Land-Rover may be next.