View Single Post
Old 22-01-22, 13:35
Junior Password Gnome

I'm not sure when the wireless equipment would be installed in the tank, probably at the factory so it would be "ready to go" when it went through the gates. It's also likely that some would be installed by various units - one of the trades was "Wireless Fitter", after all, and some vehicles were upgraded over time with later equipment.

That said, there were various kits of parts: the "Set Kit", "Standard Kit" and "Installation Kit". I think the first two became the "Set and Standard Kit" at some point, containing WS19, supply unit, Carrier No.1, Variometer, aerial bases 8 (later 10) and 9, set to supply unit cable, brush guards, canvas cover, and a couple of headsets.

The "Installation Kit" contained everything else needed for a particular vehicle - cables, cable clips, aerial feeder (for the back of the variometer), aerial mounting hardware, control units, a bag of nuts, bolts and fasteners, and so on.

Anything not required from the "Set and Standard Kit" was to be returned to stores after the installation was completed. (e.g. the universal carrier needed Carrier No.2 and different canvas because of the supply unit mounting position, so the instructions were to remove the angle iron, and screws from Carrier No.1 and fit them to the top of the set, and return the remains of Carrier No.1 plus the PSU securing strap from the set kit to stores as not required.

I think the 'screened conduit' was standard flexible conduit for the period with a braid screen added (and U-section terminations soldered on to keep everything connected together). Any screwed collars would be added before the final termination was soldered on, and they would match the threads on the industrial electrical fittings of the period.

I've seen a roll of the conduit on eBay - no doubt intended for field & base repairs - but not any of the conduit fittings. (Apart from a Control Unit No.1 with the elbow connector installed - but that was nearly 50 years ago in Hurst Street!)

I may have a power supply cable with the end for the Turret Junction Box fitted, which is probably the correct diameter for the 4 and 5 way cables, but will only be about 18-in to 2-ft long.

Chris.