View Single Post
Old 22-01-22, 03:27

Default WS 19 Sherman wireless installation cables

Hi Tim,
Glad my photo can illustrate your "wish list" of cables for your Firefly project. I do wish you well and hope you can find them. I got my complete set of Sherman WS19 wiring off eBay about 10 years ago out of Nevada, U.S.A. I consider myself very lucky for getting the set-up, as most of the wiring likely would have remained in the tanks when they were scrapped (just my opinion, no facts being stated here). I did see another set of wiring for the Sherman being sold by a Dutch collector about 5 years ago, and let Adrian Barrell know it was available as he was looking for a set too. Unfortunately there was a mix-up with auction times and he never did get it, it sold to someone else. I've yet to see another one surface. All this to say is that I think your best best to find one is likely going to be out of Holland, as this was likely the largest congregation of Sherman tanks at the time of turn-over to the Dutch army. Hopefully someone, somewhere, has one and its just a matter of time before you get one.
I have pretty much met all the WS19 owners in Ontario (a great market for 19 sets over the years) and I can state unequivocally that I have NEVER seen any of the wiring or individual connectors you are looking for. They may have even come pre-installed in the tanks and all that had to be added was the transmitter/receiver. That's one aspect I've never clearly understood, when did the 19 sets actually get installed in the tanks? In the factory or on receipt to the unit?
In any event good luck and keep us informed on your Firefly project. You might remember my uncle commanded and was killed in one, a Sherman 1c welded hull version of the 17-pdr.