View Single Post
Old 24-01-18, 13:19

Sorry Jon, I should have been clearer. There would have been a 'P1' of each of the variants that were actually built.

The P for Prototype and W for troop trial vehicles system got a bit mixed up with the FV430 series because one of the W numbered vehicles became modified to full series production standard (and is shown in the user manual) It retained its Army Registration number but was completely brought up to production standard which involved considerable work. Similarly another W numbered one became the prototype Green Archer radar vehicle, again retaining its Army Registration and recieving a total rebuild.

Going back to your Cambridge, as I understand it all variants were intended to be fitted with a wading screen as swimming was regarded as extremely desirable at that time. The lower headlight location should not I think be looked on as a mod, but as the production standard once the wading screen became part of the design. I think that it was not fitted to JXW32 simply because they hadn't designed it yet and were more interested in hull layout and automotive issues.

The key is to find the hull number or Army Registration number of yours. As I wrote before, FV430 series have a hull number stamped into a tiny plate about 30 x 25mm welded to the rear of the vehicle. Failing that another common place is stamped into the sloping front (glassis) plate, often near the lower edge in the middle. There must be one somewhere so they could keep track of which hull was which in the factory.

I think that this will be a fascinating project and that you will find it great to play with when it is done. Please show us lots of photos.

David