View Single Post
Old 26-06-13, 03:35

Default Ah, so ! It all fits.

Thanks again fellows, you cracked it Mike, it all makes sense now. All that I postulated in my #10 post has been shown to be correct. As was my opening statement.

With the PBY-4 & -5 and the PB2B-1 & -2 being flying boats and 29 of the 46 PBY-5A being converted to -5a(M) only 17 of the 166 Catalina's operated by the RAAF were amphibians.

A little more to the story in memory of Lindsay McDonald F/E RAAF No11 Squadron.

One night whilst on patrol north of New Guinea they spotted a Japanese cargo carrying submarine which managed to submerge before they could turn around and attack. As they were still outward bound they made an estimate of where the sub may be on their return trip.
On the way home all keyed up and ready to go they saw the wake of a vessel on the moonlit sea and immediately lined up for a bombing run. It wasn't until they were committed to the attack that they realised what they were bearing down on was not a submarine but a Jap destroyer. As Lindsay said, "they were very good, you stayed away from them".
As luck would have it the lookout on their side hadn't seen the Black Cat in the down moon darkness and as they went over the skipper jettisoned all four depth charges and set about putting as much distance between themselves and the ship as rapidly as they could.
Lindsay saw the whole thing from one of the blister/waist gun positions and remembered vividly seeing the propellors on the destroyer flashing in the moonlight as the stern of the vessel was lifted out of the water by the detonations.
They didn't go back to have a look and all they ever knew was that an oil slick was seen in the area the following day.

David

Last edited by motto; 26-06-13 at 14:56.