View Single Post
Old 14-02-03, 18:00
MLU Administrator

Default M4

The Viper model is an M4, as it has the rear engine deck for the radial engine - see the large air intake cover right behind the turret:

Other details are basically correct for an M4 Sherman, apart from the driver's hatches - I think these are a bit too angular to pass for the cast parts used in most Shermans. They look more like the fabricated parts used in a number of M4A2 Shermans.

(source: http://www.monkeydepot.com/merchant/aaaviper2.htm )

You can use the kit as-is, except for the fact that the M4 or Sherman I was not very numerous in Commonwealth formations. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you which Canadian units used them off the top of my head. Statistically speaking, they were a minority as 2,073 M4's (Sherman I) were supplied under Lend-Lease, against 5,033 M4A2's (Sherman III) and 7,155 M4A4's (Sherman V). (By the way, the M4A1 (Sherman II) with it's cast hull was the least numerous with only 885 supplied.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
On the other hand you could pretend this is an 'A2 and make it BOMB...
I'm with Geoff on this one. If you don't want an M4, the easiest way to convert it would be to turn it into an M4A2 as really only the engine deck and exhaust need modification. Let us know the result!