View Single Post
Old 07-12-20, 03:53

Default 52-Set Test Jumper Cables

While reading through the surviving bits and pieces of the 52-Set RCEME Maintenance Manual, I ran across references to a pair of Jumper Cables intended for bench test work when aligning and calibrating the 52-Set.

These Jumper Cables allowed the entire 52-Set in its Carriers No. 4 to be placed on the back portion of a bench and an individual component removed from the Carriers Assembly and pulled forward and out of the Carriers. The Jumper(s) would then be inserted into the Plug(s) in the rear of the Carriers No. 4 and the Socket(s) on the back of the component being tested, so the entire 52-Set would be running as a complete entity while the individual components were under test.

I have not yet considered the wiring in these Jumper Cables but for the moment am assuming they were both identical and all 8 contacts would have been connected 1 to 1 etc, each end. Otherwise you would need five separate Jumper Cables and need to keep track of which were used where.

The whole concept seemed a bit odd, although interesting.

Then, earlier this year, I ran across some photographs somewhere of a Canadian Marconi Company built wartime RCN Wireless Set. The same 8-pin Plugs and Sockets were used to connect the individual components of this RCN Wireless to one another, and in one photo of the front of the complete set, sitting in a holder on the left side of the set, were a pair of Jumper Cables, about 4 to 6 feet long with the appropriate 8-pin Plugs and Sockets either end. So, these Jumper Cables must have existed and I am curious if anyone has ever run across a set? They would be a useful thing to find, or replicate.

David