Thread: Armour Dreams
View Single Post
Old 20-02-21, 21:42

While*I was in the process*of deciding how to manufacture the rest of the components*it occurred to me that when one is concentrating on a target or having coffee, having to hold*the lever down until the gearbox internals*meshed, would be slightly inconvenient.*Therefore I*designed the gearbox internals*in such a way that once the lever is pushed forwards or backwards it locks in place,*leaving the operators hands free. *Inside the gearbox there is a keyed dog*that moves vertically on the main shaft, when*the lever is in the vertical position the*keyed*dog is in it's upper position and the turret can be rotated by hand but when the* lever is pushed forward/backwards the dog is lowered,*the keys can mesh with slots in*the large toothed gear and the turret is therefore connected to the hand wheel thus*being in fine mode.* Obviously trying to get everything*in exactly the right position for the keys and slots to mesh every time would be impossible, so to over come this*I decided to spring*load*the plate containing the keyed dog. If the lever is pushed forward or backward it*locks in position, the plate containing the keyed dog is lowered and being spring loaded, if the keys and slots do not line up,*the springs compress.*When the hand wheel is rotated and the *keys and slots line up, the pressure of the springs*force*the keys into the slots and from then on the turret is*rotated using the*hand wheel.

As clear as mud*but trying to work out how to word it was more difficult than actually making the damn thing, me thinks

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06980.jpg   DSC06991.jpg  
1938 DKW SB200
1944 DKW NZ350-1
1967 Ural K750 sidecar outfit
1944 VW Kubelwagen KDF82
1942 Steyr 1500A
1944 Morris C8A
1943 Chevrolet CMP8A HUP?
194? Bedford QL