View Single Post
Old 31-03-03, 00:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: More nonsense

Hi Don;

(You to Jon, this concerns the Mortar Platoon also)

In regards to your question: "Did the infantry battalions not also lose their pioneer platoons recently as well to save money?".

Not yet, as far as I know the battalions still have their assault pioneer platoons, but for how much longer, I don't know. I have also heard of the plan to have this asset (tasks) disappear from an infantry battalions support company and be handled by combat engineer assets.

Have this link to the DND/Army website that explains the Land Forces Commander's 'Army Strategy'. This was also published in booklet form last May (2002). Basicly, it's what the 'Army of Tommorrow' will look like. Website:

http://www.army.forces.ca/strategy/E.../strathome.asp

This is what it says regarding Mortar and Assault Pioneer Platoon assets being withdrawn from the Infantry Battalions:

The Army is deliberately reducing engineering and indirect fire capability in order to afford improvements to command and control and ISTAR. The transfer of the pioneer and mortar tasks to the engineers and artillery respectively will result in overall savings in manpower which will be directed to modernization objectives. There will also be some reduction in the complexity of structure and training for the infantry corps. The intent is not to prejudice tactical operations and, subject to requirements, units will have these capabilities available. However, they will be generated differently than in the past. This will require changes to the organizations of infantry, artillery and engineers, as well as a significant change in their training regimes to produce optimally effective units.

And about the Leopard Squadrons:

Heavier combat assets such as tanks, medium guns and elements of armoured engineers will be concentrated in LFWA. Three Leopard tank squadrons now in three brigades will be concentrated into one tank regiment in LFWA. The regiment will be based on three tank and one recce squadrons. Concentrating tank expertise will improve maintenance and resource overhead and will give the Canadian Manoeuvre Training Centre to be built at Wainwright more flexibility in the use of this equipment. CTC tanks are not affected - Gagetown will keep its tank allocation and support.

With the move of Leopards from the armoured regiments of 2 and 5 CMBGs, these regiments will convert to reconnaissance regiments based on two Coyote squadrons each. The Army will explore ways to improve this reconnaissance and surveillance capability as part of the evolving ISTAR plan. Recce regiment HQs will maintain the capability to be employed as an all arms battle group headquarters, not just a recce regiment HQ.

Regarding Mortars & Pioneers, I'm going to contact an old 'still serving bud' tomorrow and find out if these assets have in fact been taken away yet or reduced in any way. I'll post my findings.

Cheers