View Single Post
Old 20-12-09, 16:42
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Temp gage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Dave

Just did a quick look through and the prices seem to be good, for those of you putting 235s or 261 in your CMPs take note looks like the V8 conversion gauge they show will fit the big temp port at the thermostat housing. Will have to e-mail them to confirm the size and to get the length of the tube.

Good find David - as I said if you do order from them please let us know how the service was and what you thing of the parts.

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil..
That page link shows the 6 and V8 mechanical temperature gauges..the liquid(mercury) filled sensor bulb three lines up from the bottom of the page..That is the hardest gage to get right and replace..as they are usually cut,by no brainers removing them to "Fix" or replace something else..thinking..."I'll just cut this "Wire" and splice it back together when I'm putting it back..

WRONG !!!!!!

As a licensed refrigeration mechanic I cut my baby teeth on these types of gauges...and they are very simple to calibrate...
Here's how...
Remove gauge to bench or work table and remove glass and indicator needle..This needle is usually a press fit and is easily lifted off the stem by the use of a lever underneath the needle and using the gauge face for a fulcrum lift gently ..the use of a thin set of needle nose pliers,works best as it lifts under both sides of the needle and lifts the needle straight off the stem not bending or damaging the stem..

Next place the sensing bulb in an old can full of water..or the missus best stainless PUCK cooking pot and using the red wrench bring the water up to a boil..with the sensor in the boiling water the bulb temperature is now in a known environment...212Deg F..or 100 Deg C..
With the bulb still immersed in the water and the water boiling away,replace the needle on the shaft of the gauge with the needle pointing to the appropriate temperature reading on the gauge ..
Press lightly to fix the needle firmly to the shaft..
Remove the bulb from the water and let cool..The bulb should then indicate the gauge temperature to the ambient surrounding..
Lastly ,throuw a few King Cole Tea bags in the boiling water and have a decent cuppa char...
Did you ever order one to try it..??
Should work if the sensor lead is long enough..
Just one more tip...Use anti seize on the bulb before it is inserted into the well ..This gives a better and more accurate heat transmission co-efficient as it enlarges the heat transmission surface areas..and keeps the sensor from seizing in the sensor well.
Have a great Christmas...