View Single Post
Old 06-10-10, 22:31

Default Hard to find......

when I rebuilt my tranny I could not find a "pure" modern part that would be desugned like the original.

I use a place called Industrial Solutions and they search the market place by size..... not by part number....

So I privided ID OD thickness, ect. they then come back with various manufacturer that have the modern parts available and the location has it usually affects shipping costs.....

What we found was the right size but none ahd the sheet metal spot welded tabs that were part of the original. so we took a spare used bearing and carefully removed the sheet metal tab with the four holes has it will, once installed, Potentially keep the bearing from creeping out of place. We sacrificed the old bearing during the grinding to safeguard the sheet metal tab.

Phil's point on Speedy Sleeves is a critical issue. Not much point in installing a new seal if the yoke, on which the seal rides/rubs on. is grooved or pitted with rust or worn as it will very quickly destroy the effective sealing quality of the new seal. I ussually instal the yoke in a wood lathe using large 3 jaw chuck and using emery paper...sometimes a fine file and reduce the major bumps..... that removed any large protruding burrs but leave the grooves inplace. I then measure vry accurately using a cheap Princess Auto digital caliper and call in the numbers to the distributor. what you get is a very thin metal sleeve that will press fit using the supplied tool onto the yoke..... you only get one chance or you will f** it up.... has to go in very straight....on some I used Loctite because I felt it might have been too loose. Cost of the Speedy Sleeve usually exceeds the bearing/race....seals are cheap.

The final product is a brand new surface for the neoprene seal compound to rub against and should last you a life time.

If you live well and are kind to others and beleive in the Almighty and talk to him regularly....... it may only leak occasionnaly.....!

After $700 ++ in seals, bearings, bearing race, Speedy Sleeves, ect. ...... my tranny and t-case have not lost their inbread ability to mark their territory. That is the nature of the beast.

NOTE.... If you are replacing the bearings..... most of the modern ones have neoprene seals to keep lubricant inside the bearings..... for tranny and T case application, I was instructed by the supplier to use a sharp knife and remove the neopren seals on the inside of the bearing so it will be bathed or splashed in tranny oil.

Bob
Canada