View Single Post
Old 08-03-04, 18:41

Thanks for the info

I don't think he would have been with the Black Watch that early because he came home with them in 1945

However, it might be around the time he was with the 9th Field Ambulance because - although my father NEVER told anyone about this, apparently he told his brother and my cousin relayed the story to me after my father passed away. He could hear something heavy coming in and took cover under a truck. They were heavily hit and shrapnel went flying everywhere. A large piece of a bomb just missed my father. He looked at it afterwards and it had a serial number on it that almost matched my father's number - it was almost like it was earmarked for him.

It's stories like these that I am sorry he didn't share more often but I can totally understand him wanting to just forget about it.

I am in the process of applying for my father's records from the DND - how long that will take is beyond me. I am also trying to find out if I can get his medical records from Veteran's Affairs as he spent a fair amount of time in and out of hospital after the war.

Judy