Thread: C8AX production
View Single Post
Old 10-02-05, 22:08
former Resident Historian

Default Hmmmm!

Tony, interesting points. I note that there were two dates in April, 4th and 5th, and then a big gap: this would suggest three batches and not just two. In the past I have been investigating CKD exports by GM since 1920, and so far I can see there was a finite capacity of crates that could be fitted in a ship and then after mid-1940 the Canadian government had problems with finding shipping space for CKD crates. Space was at a premium and often crates had to be left behind. I can imagine that although Oshawa produced a large number of crated CKD trucks, and had them railed to Vancouver, shipping constraints and the need to sometimes drop off crates say in Australia, could have resulted in batches arriving independently.

The uncertainty I have with the C8AX assembly is that the 'XH' code applied to all Chevrolets assembled in Petone Plant and they used a sequential number. There could have been other chassis assembled at the same time and the same sequence applied. However, I do understand why the 'manufactured' date could equally be the 'delivered' date. I query whether 300-odd chassis could have been assembled in the Plant in one day!

POSTSCRIPT: I have been looking up my data. In 1920 the largest shipment from the US to that time was 300 crated cars, although it appears that 600 chassis could be shipped in one go. Running forward 20 years, Windsor and Oshawa produced about 125 CMPs each day up to August 1940, and then it was suggested that this could be ramped-up to 200 or so per day.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 10-02-05 at 22:31.