View Single Post
Old 10-03-20, 20:03
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninNM View Post
Chris: thanks for that......I am assuming that the variometer attaches to the bottom of the aerial feeder No. 4 (the pyramid shaped one). I guess I was under the mistaken belief that there was a cable from the bottom of the No.4 to the variometer and then one from the variometer to the front of the No. 19 set. I have the cable and antenna mount for the other side (one with the inverted protector around the base of the antenna mount).
I'VE SEEN A FEW PICTURES BUT NO ONE IT SEEMS GETS BACK INTO THE INNER RECESSES OF THE TURRET BUSTLE AND PHOTOS THE LAYOUT BEHIND THE No. 19 SET WHICH IS IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
I think I have the cable attaching to the variometer that plugs into the front ofthe No. 19 set.
Okay.... for the usual 'through the roof' install, Aerial Feeder No.4 is fitted to the back of the variometer. This is all metal construction and has a length of conduit with a fine thread on it. The conduit goes through the 3/4" hole in the turret roof and also through the hole in the aerial base No.8 Mounting No.1 (which has a steel insert inside the rubber disc and 6 threaded holes to take the bolts for the aerial base) there's a tabbed lock washer and then a fine-thread nut to fasten the whole assembly in place. (There are also two locating holes (not full depth) in the turret roof, the topside one prevents the mounting from rotating, and the underside one does the same job for the variometer.) An "aerial pigtail" is then attached to the aerial base and to the centre contact of the aerial feeder, after which the aerial base can be fastened to the mounting (I think it uses 1/4" BSF hex bolts).

If the hole in the roof is much too large for the aerial feeder, it was drilled for a U.S. aerial base and you need a centering washer plus a spring washer to cover the hole from the inside.

Cable from 'A' set to variometer is "Leads, Aerial, No.1" and has two right-angled connectors. The one for the 'B' set to Aerial Base No.9 is "Leads, Aerial, No.2" and has a right-angle connector for the set end and an in-line one to connect to the bottom of the aerial base - the clip on the base should be a 'horse shoe' shape, but sometimes they come with the wrong type.

You will also probably need to change the position of the variometer front section so that you can read the scale when it's in position - this needs to happen before fitting it!

Hope this is some help.

Chris.