View Single Post
Old 11-03-05, 22:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: U-hoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
By the way, I would not have asked Henry...he was head of the Ford Motor Company. Instead I would have asked Monsieur L. Giroux, Auto Engineering, Windsor as it was Ford Motor Company of Canada Limited that applied these designations and Giroux applied his name to spec sheets detailing model numbers and production data from 1939-42.
No, the "A, C, Y, T, W and S" were standardised chassis nomenclature by Ford USA and the system was used by all other Ford regions, eg E83W was an English COE van, C01T was a Canadian built 01T, a G81A is a Koln built 1938 Passenger Car, etc. These are Ford's Chassis engineering codes. The other codes you mention David, are vehicle model codes, so F15A, F30B, F60H, F60T or F60S don't fall into this system.

The DND codes are a different system again. This was to overcome the different (confusing) practices of each manufacturer. The Ford F60L has a Ford engineering code of C298QF, the Chev C60L has it's own GM code of 8443. The DND system recognises that these two numbers don't bear any similarity to each other for what are essentially similar vehicles, so the DND code gives them F-60448-M and C-60448-M. This tells us they are either Ford or Chev, 60cwt, 4 wheels, 4 driven wheels, 158"wb and Military cab. :