View Single Post
Old 28-11-20, 23:43

For a few days now, I have been concerned about reinstalling the remaining two sets of hardware on the SOCKETS, Aerial in the upper right corner of the Sender front panel. These were the two sets of hardware that pass through the chassis frame rails, as well as the front panel, and both were missing their respective external tooth #32 lock washers. My suspicion is they were not reinstalled at the time of the 1960’s overhaul work because of the difficulty accessing behind the panel and chassis with any tools. One is working blind back there. Quite a testament, therefore, to the skills and efforts of the young women at Canadian Marconi, who met that challenge on a daily basis on the assembly line!

The recent re-lock down of the entire province and City of Winnipeg did not help matters as hardware supply shops are now shuttered.

It was not until yesterday that my brain was drawn back to the fact I have a spare 52-Set Receiver I have been slowly stripping down, most recently for available front panel hardware. Surely, it would have somewhere within it, some #32 machine screws and related hardware. A careful look indeed revealed a pair of countersunk screws holding the required washers, which were quickly retrieved and the screws reinstalled.

What better than to use not only 75+-year-old hardware of the correct type, but 52-Set hardware no less. I felt quite chuffed with myself when I put the remaining two sets of hardware back into the SOCKETS, Aerial install and reconnected its central terminal at the rear of the panel. Now all three electrical circuits disconnected during the Sender teardown, have been re-established.

Next project will be the cleaning and reinstallation of the upper left and right BRACKETS used to secure the Sender into the Carriers No. 4.

David
Attached Thumbnails
WS No. 52 Sender 64.JPG