Thread: 11 Set stuff
View Single Post
Old 02-03-15, 23:35
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Ron,
Those hinges look the same as the ones I bought.
The Morris box is quite a bit smaller than the CMP one. The CMPs put the second set of batteries to the right of the radio with the remotes and stuff. They also have those lockers built onto the front of the box. What are those two units clamped down behind the set on the Morris?
Interesting! They look very much like a pair of the "Static Battery Boxes" used with the Wireless Set No.18. This was a moulded bakelite case that took a selection of dry cells and batteries (2 x 60 volt, 3 x 12 volt (making 156 volts tapped at 12V for HT and grid bias) and either 2 x 1.5 volt "Cells Dry, O" in series, or 8 "Cells, Dry, X" in series parallel to provide 3 volts for the valve filaments. This pack had a 50 hour usable life. I'm fairly certain that's what they are, as the photo shows the case screws on the front and the web carrying strap on the side. I have the bottom half of two of these cases (stripped) - they were emptied out, the lids and fittings discarded, and a drawer knob attached for use as a parts storage system. :-(> I want a complete one for my 18 set, but no luck so far.

Chris.