View Single Post
Old 09-02-18, 19:04

Default Gp8920

Hi Jim,

Venturing over to the light (CMP) side from G503!!

In short, the original data plate was long gone, and no number presented itself on the hood or original body so the 'March 41' date was as close as I could come from the available on-line data. I'll have to wrestle with deciding what hood number it should have: any suggestions?

Been a while since I updated, been busy completing a bunch of book text and articles. So here goes:

Had a major setback with the engine , which meant removal, a complete tear-down and line-bore of the main bearing caps, then re-assembly. Test run on an engine test stand, then re-assembly to the transmission, etc. Tested all the gear train during static running, clutch adjustment and so on, before mounting the body tub. Also discovered my expensive reproduction GP fan belts were just standard Mitsubishi belts with the maker's details covered in black ink with a red GP part number stenciled on - which all rubbed off in no time. Oh well, live and learn: it still fits.

Connecting and adjusting the steering is next, then connecting the accelerator and choke links. I'll also complete the wiring and dash installation before mounting the seats, fuel tank, and so on - much easier to access under the dash with an un-cluttered body. Purchased a roll of thin insertion rubber to make floor mats for both vehicles - it helps preserve the paintwork from usage scuffs and scrapes.

Current status can be seen in the images, along with its 'stable mate', the now-registered '44 Willys MB 'recreation drive'. Having timber walls in the workshop means I can 'store' panels and parts up high, safely out of the way, until it is time to install them - you can see the transmission cover and engine bay side panels wrapped in plastic high up on the wall to the right of the overhead gantry.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
s-IMG_4508.jpg   s-IMG_4512.jpg  
Attached Images