View Single Post
Old 02-06-05, 14:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
I am led to believe that General Motors and Yellow coach buses were sent to England during the war..
1937 series model 728 and up....
Any records of them or pictures ...
Alex,

It may seem to be slightly strange for you and theoretically not related to the buses but...

In 2003 I did an interview for the Polish MoD weekly with famous Belgian US WWII airborne forces collector, researcher and author Michel De Trez. He is an owner of big archive of photographs related to wartime life and combat of the US paras and glider troops fighting in the ETO. No doubt his archive contains also the pics from marshalling areas organized before every one airborne operation and he published such photos, for example in his famous book "American Warriors. Pictorial History of the American Paratroopers Prior to Normandy". If you may look please into this book on pages 60 and 61 – the buses carrying US paras are over there. Perhaps Michel has more such pics? You may contact Michel De Trez via his author's official website.

But I would say that there is "Big Two" of such men. The second one is Mark Bando from the USA who has a little narrower specialization – only WWII-era 101st Airborne Division. He is also famous collector, researcher, author of the books and no doubt an owner of the archive similar to Michel De Trez's one. It would be hard to believe that his archive does not contain historic pics from pre-Overlord and pre-Market Garden marshalling areas. Just in case research Mark Bando's official website and you may contact him via MarkBando@aol.com

Best regards

C.