View Single Post
Old 23-12-19, 18:15

Default GREASE, Lubricating, Andoc ZA/CAN 4223

This part of the project is a ‘Planning Ahead’ segment, more than anything.

I will eventually be doing a restoration of the Supply Unit for my 52-Set, which is going to bring the two dynamotors into the picture. The main concerns with them will be the inspection and cleaning of the brushes and armatures, which is a relatively straightforward process. Where it will get interesting, however, is the cleaning and regreasing of the bearings.

This 52-Set was very likely last operated sometime in the 1970’s, and when the dynamotor bearings were last cleaned and lubricated prior to that is anyone’s guess.

Version 2 of the Parts Listings for the 52-Set, issued July 1948, identifies the grease used as GREASE, Lubricating, Andoc and it was available in 1-pound tins.

In 1954, Modification Order No. 4 was issued dealing with changing the original grease to one identified as 3-GP-683a, which was an Arctic tolerant grease, if the 52-Sets were being deployed there.

While checking the web today, it appears Andoc grease was an Exxon Product and version ‘Andoc C’ was discontinued in 2001. I have no idea what the qualities of this particular grease were, to be able to match it to a modern substitute, so I am very much open to suggestions for an appropriate substitute. I would like to track down suitable grease ahead of time, rather than have the project grind to a halt, when it reaches the point of restoring the Supply Unit.

David