View Single Post
Old 22-03-03, 04:21
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Markings

Keith;

Have found some new information and corrections to my last post regarding the markings used by AA Command Units (Home Forces).

Reference: Attached Image

Fig. 1 - As I stated in my earlier post, this is an example of how the Gun Tractors within a LAA Regt of the 6 AA Div would have been marked in regards to the Arm of Service (R.A.) and the Formation Sign (6 AA Div), up to Oct 1942.

As of October 1942, AA Command's three AA Corps and twelve AA Divisions were reorganized into seven AA Groups (both Corps and Div organizations being done away with).

Fig. 2 - From 1943 onwards, all AA Units within AA Command, used the AA Command Formation Sign, a black bow and arrow, aimed upwards, on a scarlet square, with the R.A. Arm of Service still being the horizontal oval or ellipse, with no Unit Serial Number on it.

Fig. 3 - As I stated in my earlier post, after Nov 1943, only those AA Units within AA Command Mobile Reserve were to carry Unit identifing serials, which were allotted by the G.O.C. C-in-C AA Command, the R.A. Arm of Service still being the horizontal oval or ellipse. Fig. 3 is an example only, of how the vehicles of one of the LAA Regts within AA Command Mobile Reserve would have been marked in regards to the R.A. Arm of Service, with the Unit's allotted Serial Number and the AA Command Formation Sign.

Now considering that you mentioned that your vehicle was manufactured on 20/08/42 and that she may not have entered service until late 42 or early 43 and taking into account, my above mentioned findings, this makes the markings you found on her a bit of a mystery, ie: the square R.A. AoS with the serial '6' number and the 6 AA Div Fmn Sign.

I still have not been able to find any other reference to Units under command of AA Command, having had used the square R.A. Arm of Service, has used by the Field Army. According to all the instructions I've read, Units of AA Command (Home Forces)used the oval or ellipse R.A. AoS throughout the war years.

Haven't given up yet, I love a good mystery, still looking.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
keith revised markings.jpg  

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 22-03-03 at 04:26.