View Single Post
Old 13-05-16, 22:42

Thanks Tony, I was unaware of the Mick Keelty report, it sums things up well.
Terry, I stated at the end of my post that there must be more to the story and indeed there is as you have explained.
You mention the forest being burned each year. The discussion here has been very intense at times on the issue of fuel reduction burns. In many areas for thousands of years before the arrival of the Europeans the aboriginals would light bush fires as they moved out in their nomadic lifestyle. This was part of the natural order of things. eucalyptus forests are fire prone so much so that some species will germinate after burning. With the coming of the white man the focus has been on fire prevention with the consequent build up of fuel resulting in high intensity fires when light up does occur.
We still haven't learned how to manage the situation with fuel reduction burns sometimes getting out of control and the population ever increasing and many wishing to 'escape to the country'.
Our fires seem to be more like those they have in California with fierce winds hurling debris and fireballs at terrific speed over great distances. The Fort Mc fire seemed rather sedate. It probably has something to do with latitude as well as the makeup of the forest.
No criticism of Canadians is intended or implied. I wish we had more of your politeness here as we seem to be on a downwards spiral. Maybe I am that old as I can remember a kinder world where people were considerate of each other and guns in the hands of the public not seen as a threat.
David

Last edited by motto; 13-05-16 at 23:00.