View Single Post
Old 20-03-13, 14:36

My Late Father, Harry Hutchings, was with New Zealands 'J' Force and they too had to fight for the right to be recognised. A few things he said was in 1946 it was a combat zone still as at night you and your mate walked back to back while patrolling or even the small kids would stab you in the back if they got a chance.

He was sent home with tropical Ulcers hanging from his ears and nose and once recovered returned to civilian life. The New Zealand Government finally in about 1996 had a medal made for 'J' Force vetrans but Dad would not let me claim his until after he died he felt so let down by the system.

Funny thing though when I cleaned out his drawers of clothing I found his Old Paybook and a small box of Box Brownie photos he had taken while he was in Japan. I made an album of the photos which now resides with my younger brother in New Zealand along with a framed medal, photo of Dad in army uniform, photo of the gates of the NZ HQ in Japan and a New Zealand beret badge which I proudly had framed. I never really knew just how much the short stay with the army meant to him as he had a reserved occupation during WW2 and was angry they would not let him go.

To all those 'Occupation of Japan' soldiers who are no longer with us I salute you

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"