View Single Post
Old 06-03-13, 14:13
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Survivor located

Hi Guys

I just thought I would give you all an update into my investigation into the survivors of the "Boozers Committee". I finally tracked down the last surviving member named on the back of the 10 Yen Japanese note under the heading of "Boozers Committee". Late this afternoon I received a phone call and had the honour of speaking to 88 year old Noel WHITING.

We had a lovely chat and he could not believe his eyes when he opened my letter and saw the Photo I sent of the 10 Yen note. He confirmed it was his handwriting on the note. He related his story of his time in Japan as part of the BCOF force, as part of 123 Transport Platoon, stationed 6 Kilometres from Hiroshima, and now we know why he is the only survivor, he identified others on the note and the name of the OC of his unit who recently passed away, all suffered with cancer.

I was thrilled speak to this chap who recently lost his wife. I will now write up a story for my association magazine and then I can put this mystery to bed. My thanks to MLU members. Mike Cecil, Tony Wheeler and Richard Couts-Smith for your support and assistance to keep me stirred up enough to continue until the final chapter in this true Aussie story.

Cheers

Tony