Thread: Wanted: F section aerial set
View Single Post
Old 25-03-20, 15:07
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dutton View Post
Wasnt there an extra top (short) section in the W38 set kits too, as that was the one prone to damage? The threaded Canadian ones are easier to find I’ve found than the push together ones.
The WS38 Mk.I and II used a 4 section aerial kit: three standard 'F' sections that fitted together to make a 12-ft rod aerial, and a separate 'battle aerial' consisting of a short stub and the remainder being spring wire - considerably more robust than the hollow tube aerial section (also a serious eye hazard, if you're using one of those stick a cork on the end so you don't poke anyone with it).

Early 'F' sections were all push-fit and came apart easily if used on vehicles, so later production incorporated a rolled-in thread on all sections (except the bottom of the first rod) and the WS38 battle aerial, which didn't need it. The later design was still in production in the 1980s as far as I'm aware. (They're in the 1981 RacalAntennas catalogue.)

The WS 38 Mk.3 used collapsible 4-ft aerials, giving the option of 4-ft or 8-ft (these were also issued as part of the WS62 kit), plus a 45-ft 'ground aerial' - an insulated trailing wire similar to the one for the earlier sets. The collapsible whip (several sections threaded on a flexible wire) allowed the complete station to be stored in (and used from) a backpack.

Chris.