View Single Post
Old 27-12-22, 22:34

Default John Marchant

I was deeply saddened to learn of John's passing as I have known him since 1984. I last spoke with John on the telephone in late August about his Ford CMP 3-ton which was heading to the Base Borden Museum. I had initiated the deal putting the museum in contact with John as I knew he was looking for a suitable home for his historic Canadian truck.

I, along with several of my family members, have visited John's farm in Milton Keynes, where he and his wife Francis (who passed away several years ago) would host us in true English fashion. I have fond memories of three trips John and I took in his vehicles to the continent from 1984 to 1986.

Click image for larger version

Name:	S87-17 Ed Storey and John Marchant copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	131746

I used to bring Canadian military IMP rations with me and John was thrilled not only with the 'boil in bag' feature but also for the fruit, notably the pineapple slices, that came with certain menus.

Name:	S103-18 John Marchant copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	131744

For decades we exchanged Christmas cards and I always looked forward to his hand-made cards which usually featured John with one of his vehicles. His 2021 card highlighted his Ford 3-ton.

Name:	Christmas Card - John Marchant - 2021 - front copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	131743

John was one of the pioneers of CMP collecting and restoration having acquired many of his vehicles from disposal sales held after the war. John has two of his vehicles in Canadian museums, his C15AA is in the CWM and now his Ford 3-ton is in Borden.

Name:	C15AA Recovered - John Marchant [2] - Return from IWM Duxford copy.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	131745

Both vehicles have a pedigree that can be traced back to the Second World War.

Good bye old friend, Rest in Peace.

Name:	S79-19 Saying goodbye to John Marchant and his HUW at Portsmouth, 9 June 1984 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	131747