View Single Post
Old 05-11-14, 02:12
VMVC

Default Blitz cowl holding and positioning device

Thought people might find this of interest.

I know whenever I need an extra pair of hands nobody is around, or your mates have bad backs, are working, or have a golf match to go to, etc, etc.

Frankly too At 65, I am past heavy lifting anyway, and to eventually reinstall the cowl I came up with this solution to be able to do it by myself. I would really need two others plus myself to do it otherwise.

The base is made mainly of 75mm x 75mm RHS and has attached to the vertical posts horse jump keyhole channel. This allows the cowl (or another heavy object) to be placed at 50mm spacing. Any minor adjustment in height can be done with shims under the casters (or even letting a bit of air out of the front tyres).

The arms that attach to the cowl at the radiator support bracket holes are made of 25mm x 75mm RHS. This lifting frame is then positioned on the keyhole channel with 1/2" bolts and provisions are made to be able to slightly adjust the angle with the bolts for aligning the cowl to the cabin.

The steel horse jumps, which were made from the 75mm x 75mm RHS and keyhole channel, and the casters were donated to me so a couple of days work, and $30 worth of bolts was the total outlay.

I figured I would just need two people to lift it onto the right height keyholes and then the rest of it is a one man operation. I actually used my engine lifter to do it so it was a one man operation all the way.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.JPG   IMG_0031.JPG   IMG_0044.jpg   IMG_0046.jpg  

Jacques Reed