View Single Post
Old 27-01-13, 21:29
VMVC

Default Transporting chassis to sandblaster

Thought I would add another bit of info that worked for me.

As I don't own a truck, and hiring a large tandem trailer to take a F15A chassis to the sandblaster was going to be quite costly I looked at using a boat trailer to do the job.
The chassis is surprisingly quite light, and in fact probably less than a fully rigged 14' fishing boat and motor so weight is not a problem- just length.

Found a rough and ready one in the "Trading Post" for $120. Good enough for what I wanted. Made up a few wooden chocks to keep it in place for the 40 km round trip and secured the chassis to the trailer with threaded 5/16" rods. Prior to the sandblaster I also use it to take the chassis to a welder to have a few extraneous holes welded shut where a two speed xfer case had been fitted.
The welder had it overnight and the sandblaster had it for three days so you can imagine the cost on hired equipment if hired for 4 days.

After I finished with it a few weeks later I tidied it up a bit, put it back on the Trading Post, and got my money back with a little bit of change.

This also keeps clutter down when you live in a normal suburban home as I do and keeps wives and neighbors happy.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
1999-50.jpg  

Jacques Reed