View Single Post
Old 24-07-07, 17:54
Bailey Bridges & FBE

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
Still cant sort out that last problem so its kicked into touch. Now heres a interesting item, about 15 years ago i put this photo into a model mag to find out more details we all came to the conclusion that it was bridging but never resolved the full purpose of strapping complete large sections in this way. One it must have been rather out of balance whilst travelling, think of the roads in Europe at that time, for obvious reasons its better to go up rather than flat the width would have been totally restrictive and upwards as can be seen would foul bridges, trees, arches etc
comments welcome
Les
Les, Noel & any other interested parties!

I still think we are looking at SBG in one form or another. The section issue raised by Noel can be explained that these are tapered hornbeam sections (you can see that furthest section gets deeper towards front of trailer).

In defence of original idea that it was for AVRE SBG Assault Bridge are:
a) Lack of centre decking (as in MkII AVRE bridge)
b) Tow bar / A frame for Towed SBG Assault Bridge (although recent examination of drawings shows towing eye attached to bakseat!)

Latest theory!

Kastentrager-Gerat : German copy of SBG!

"In the mid 1930's the German Army copied the design of the SBG almost exactly, calling their bridge the Kastentrager-Gerat, literally the bow girder equipment. The K-Gerat used the same panel length as the SBG, but slightly ammended the bracing details. A 1943 article in the German magazine Military Engineer describes the bridge being used on the Russian front in conjunction with pontoons and goes on to say that 'the bridge has given good service and is similar to bridges used in enemy armies'. Its use prompted an instruction in a Royal Engineers Training Memorandum of the same year to the effect that, although the SBG MkIII was by then obsolete in the British Army, training with SBG should occasionally continue to enable units to utilize captured enemy equipment" (One More River to Cross, Col. JH Joiner)

Reasoning behind this is that the trailer looks more German than British! (Just waiting for someone to prove me wrong there!) Attached is a (poor) image of Engineer Vehicle 11 (Pf.11), Pontoon Wagon (D600) which has similar mudguards and belly locker.

OK so that is my tuppenceworth on this subject! Oh, still can't find ID for AoS 16, plate does look more British than German.... now if I could see AoS on Scammell in the background.........

All for now

David
Attached Thumbnails
pf11.jpg