View Single Post
Old 31-05-22, 01:49
VMVC

Default Ford coil mounting bracket-CMP and others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Hi everyone.

Im trying to figure out the best place to mount my coil in my Carrier. My engine has the 42-48 style crab distributor and it uses a coil mounted on a bracket. However I know I can find these brackets on Ebay, but I am using a modern coil.

Does anyone know if the original style 42-48 coil bracket will still mount to the engines LS head with the ignition suppresor that is there? I don't want to buy one of these brackets to find out it doesn't fit.

Anyone have pictures of how the army did it? They would have used these engines as replacements I would think.

Ive included a picture of the bracket as this is what I believe was used.
Hi Jordan,

I had the great pleasure of meeting Tony Smith last night for the first time. In our conversations, while looking at my engine, he mentioned the mounting bracket for the coil on Ford CMP's and how it might also be used on the carrier. I am not sure if this is the thread he was referring to but here is the original bracket as used on Ford CMP's to mount it above the generator which also helps brace the long oil filler tube. Both of us have not seen many of these original type coil brackets/oil filler braces here in Australia.

From F-15A Parts List 1943

*C29Q 6748 Pipe Assembly- Oil filler from s/n 21566 with Hydro Vent

*C29Q 6755 Support Bracket- Oil filler pipe assembly from s/n 21566 with Hydro Vent. (no referral to a coil support but used for that purpose and not shown in diagrams.)

Interestingly, Ford generic part 21A 12257 Bracket- coil to motor, is also listed in the book and shown in diagrams.

Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree but this may be of interest anyway.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1901.jpg  

Jacques Reed