View Single Post
Old 06-02-12, 17:32

Default Ramping up..... for Spring.

Hi Phil

I had been using a highway guardrail post for 15 years and added up a few 2x8 fro greater height as required...... as they sit outside they eventually rotted and became home to some colony of ants.

So decided that I should finally build some decent safe ramps as I had fallen off the ramps on the last oil change.

I basically copied the eight and lenght of the wooden ramps but made them in two parts for ease of moving them around....also because on my Ford diesel they have installed a fuel filter inside the frame underneath the driver's side..... so when the truck is on the wheel stand the ramp portion is in the way. In this fashion I can remove it do the job. replace and drive the truck down....... watch the day I forget to re-install the ramp Ka boom.....

I used 1/8 square tubing 1 1/2...... very sturdy like everything that we overbuild but should be able to use it for C15 to C60 trucks if need be.

Will take some photos and measurements and publish.

I plan on welding some HD expanded steel on the ramp and on the top wheel stand..... that will make them self cleaning with all our mud and snow and provide good traction...... fall back plan if too expensive will be sheets of 10 gauge spare steel and light gauge expanded steel in narrow strip just for traction.

They should last a life time and a half...... once slightly rusted over for bite will paint them with left over Tremclad paint.

The bottom device to hold the two section together was salvaged from the spare bin..... it is a piece of heavy 1/4 in. U shape channel 1 1/2 by 4 welded to the bottom section of the ramp portion it rides over the front stand and holds beautifully so far..... again back up plan if I find the top as a tendency to open will be to fabricate a U shape device that will fit in the open end of the square tubing as a safety pin......

Do you still have snow around your place...?

Bob C.
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 06-02-12 at 17:39.