View Single Post
Old 18-06-04, 17:17
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default replies

Quote:
As the KNIL had 30 x 47 mm Böhler AT-guns and only 20 Vickers Trucks, it was not logical to use them for towing 20 mm AA guns. For redeploying av AA gun you can use almost every type of vehicle, but to tow an AT-gun under combat conditions is someting totally different.
KNIL by 1942 also had received part of their order for MH light tractors. Though not sure how many were delivered (max around 100- see other posts on MLU) these also seemed to have been used as tank training vehicles. They were meant as AT and AA gun tractors, so why not use them as that?
Quote:
Krabbedijk is (or was?) an ex-KNIL who wrote on the KNIL equipment in Stabelan Magazine for several years. (I have the Stabelan from nr 1 issued 31 Aug 1974 - with a few missing numbers).
Ok, than I probably read him. So far I have found little real good info on overvalwagens in Stabelan. It is now defunct as you know.
Quote:
The Tjilitan, Kemajoran and Tjeoe question seems difficult. Reason: How separate these fom Stadswacht Batavia?
I have no definite proof but I think most if not all Stadswacht overvalwagens were reallocated to regular units before the Japanese assault for lack of other afv's (such as the Medan vehicles). The Java airport vehicles were Braat AA vehicles btw.
BTW I mean both Samarinda and SamII had overvalwagens. I am not sure if Makassar by the time of fighting still had them (Nortier does not mention them)
Quote:
I thought I was the only still interested in the KNIL.
No you're not alone! And glad I am not!
NO rain today...
Nuyt