View Single Post
Old 07-10-06, 00:38
RIP

Default Carrier #989

Hello Geoff
Is it possible for you to find out, from the previous owner maybe, where the plate #2353 came from? Did it come from a Carrier that has now GTG (Gone To God) and if so, where did it die? #989 holds the history of two Carriers.

A couple of pointers with your motors if they were made specifically for Carriers. To accomodate the oil cooler system a plug was put into the rear oil gallery to disperse the oil through the oil cooler. Post war many hot rodders put these motors into their cars unaware of this and in a short time cooked the motors as the oil flow didn't get around the motor. With the Carrier I restored it was a non genuine Carrier motor and unbeknown to us someone had inserted a wooden plug to allow the oil cooler to operate. When we fired up the motor we immediately lost oil pressure as the plug had dried out and the oil pressure had forced it along the gallery and blocked one of the flow holes. My astute mechanic found this and the wooden plug was removed.

The other thing with some of these flat-heads is that there are four small welch plugs under the sump. A lot of restorers are not aware of these and wonder where water leaks come from. I detailed this in one of my previous posts.

Have fun - Bob