View Single Post
Old 30-08-22, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
The Shims are used in conjunction with a cast steel "Teacup" shaped spacer that sits between the inner bearing cone and the outer bearing cone. Only one side of the Teacup will use the shims, to obtain preload on the wheel bearings. The shims will be the same dimension (I.D./O.D.) of either the large or small end of the teacup, and also the corresponding face of the wheel bearing cone.

Unfortunately, I don't have a front hub disassembled at the moment to take pics or measurements. There should be a pic in the Parts List to show the arrangement.
Hi Tony,

I believe Jordan's query was on my behalf, I am not one for using the forum, even though I should do so more. I just replaced the outer bearing on my C15a driver side wheel, but figure that I need to install shims to make sure the bearings are properly adjusted (certainly shows the shims in the exploded view of the parts manual and discusses it in the maintenance manual). Lost the original I had when I first worked on this several years ago. Bearing recently failed, so figured the failure may have been the result of not using any shim when I reassembled it. I sort of figured that I could use the teacup spacer to determine the I.D./O.D. size but was concern if the resulting shim should be exactly the same size or slightly smaller. When you dry fit the spacer up against the bearing cone its a very narrow seat just short of touching the roller assembly. If I was going to order some made or see what may be currently available wanted to be absolutely correct on the dimensioning.

If anyone has a spare shim that I could take measurements that would solve the problem.

cheers,

John

1944 C15a