View Single Post
Old 22-05-11, 19:30

Hello Derek.

These things are getting interesting. Looks like two possible feeders existed at least: the cylindrical one you show, and the flat C-Shaped connector for slipping under a screw post. I wonder if this difference was noted in slightly different part number codes for the finished aerials?

There must have been a lot of component manufacturers as well. On the black insulator links alone, so far I have seen the two halves fused together at the mid point of the short ends, or somewhere along the long sides. Most of these have been a perpendicular joint, but I have seen a few done at an angle. Adding to the mix is that most fused joints can be spotted easily as a thin ridge is typically left, but I have also seen links that look like time was actually spent creating a seamless look to the link and you cannot tell where the two parts were joined.

The end of the aerial wire seems to be a standard design. It is formed into a ring, the wire wrapped back around itself and then soldered. I am thinking these wire ends might have been formed first and then the two halves of an insulator link fitted and fused to connect it. The wire rings are larger than the link to allow some movement of the link inside the wire ring. Could be a hard thing to accomplish if one had to wrap the wire around the link and then solder it as the final assembly step.