View Single Post
Old 15-06-12, 06:28
carrier mech

Many questions, and I have only the answers for some of them.

Spare tire racks were not likely on the Manacs. They were not originally on the M101 either. In the old days, the trailer matched the truck. So if you needed a spare tire for your M101, you took it off your M37. Along came the 5/4 ton in 1976, and now you had a spare tire problem. Soon after that, the spare tire stowage kit came out for the front of the box. The kit did not apply to the Manac, since it used the same spare tire as the Gas 5/4 ton, and could also use the CUCV spare if need be. A short 18 years later and it was time for the LSVW. Hard to say if the trailer stowage kits were even still available, since the plan was to replace the 3/4 ton trailers with a new LSVW based trailer. This was in 1995, and sure enough, a short 4 or 5 years later the new trailers appeared.

Re the trailer connection: Any military pattern truck would use the same trailer socket as found on every SMP from the lowly Jeep to the heavy armour if so equipped, and even most of our green tractor trailers had that same plug. But I had seen occasions where the trailer had been issued for use by commercial pattern trucks, and in that case it was far easier to change the trailer plug to commercial rather than to install the military receptacle onto the truck. It wasn't an official modification, but it was done occasionally.

Re the bows and racks: I don't know. I could look it up on the old parts catalogs I have, but at the end of the day, use what you got. I would recommend watching for a set of the LSVW racking if some comes up, or even better a security cage. The LSVW racks are all aluminum, so you won't have the splintering wood problems that one normally has on the 3/4 ton trailers. My trailer had the holes for the front gates if I recall.

I am pretty sure I have some spare parts for the surge brake assembly. But I also see them on ebay all the time and for good prices too. The master cylinder, by the way, is identical to the old willys jeeps including the M38A1 family.