View Single Post
Old 15-06-12, 03:48
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Ed, much appreciated for the history lesson! I figured sooner or later I would end up with something with a story...
FA581 is indeed the serial from Manac.
Before you confirmed it to me, I was suspicious that it may have been converted to a genny trailer as there are some holes drilled in the floor.
Another interesting find was the spare tire. The spare is painted white over OD, flaking off at this point but obviously UN. I figured it was just an oddball wheel thrown on at surplus time.

Rob, a question for you. Did the Manac trailers use two piece hinged racks front and rear or is just the rear hinged and the front one piece?
It appears to me that the front two piece rack is incorrect as there is no provision for the locking pins to drop into the front top sheet metal.
Also, my trailer has 12v civvy type 4 pin lighting. Is this a post surplus civvy mod or did the military use 4 pin on the 5/4 or LSVW? The guy I purchased it from is the first civvy owner and he said it came that way surplus. I find that hard to believe.
I am also looking for a new surge setup as the one that is on it is not working as it took a hit of some sort and bent the metal housing. I do not think I can straighten it as the sheet steel is quite heavy. The lunette is OK but the housing is toast as is the master (cracked).
Any ideas where to look for said parts???

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers