View Single Post
Old 05-07-04, 18:05
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Location of 'AWD KANGAROO' - Post # 3

The attached, is a more detailed overlay of the Rear Maintenance Area layout of 21 AG as/at 1 Aug 44. The area where I believe 'AWD Kangaroo' to have been established, is that area that is bordered by: draw a line from the north-eastern most tip of the REME area, running east to the north-western most tip of No. 14 AOD's area, than run south-west to the road (M.T. Pipe Line) and back north-west to the REME area. It is within this box, that I believe 'AWD Kangaroo' was established.

Another way to look at it, is to take Audrieu as the centre of the clock and than running clockwise from 6 (south) to 9 (west) to 12 (north), draw an arc on the west side of Audrieu, I believe it was located within that arc.

The area in question has three key elements, ie: REME/RCEME close at hand; the Salvage dump just to the north; and the Ordnance Depot itself, all of which, were more or less necessary/required for the conversion of the M7 Priest 105mm How. equipments to that of M7 Priest Kangaroo APCs. Also, the area in question, is the right distance from where they were harboured prior to the attack and the start line.

I cannot think of anything more to add, so now I guess it's up to someone on the ground, in the area, to hopefully confirm all of this.

Cheers