View Single Post
Old 05-07-04, 13:40
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Kangaroo AWD site near Bayeux

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Because of the limited time factor, from the start of conversion to the launch of Operation TOTALIZE, ie: no time left over for driver training on the M7 Priest equipment, most of the original drivers from their service with 12th, 13th and 14th Field Regiments, R.C.A., were employed has such for Operation TOTALIZE.
I know numerous of their drivers were arty types (one of those, D/13602 Gnr Hutchins GA, was DoW in late August), but I also know of at least three who were 'pressganged' into the job from other assignments. The way I'm told, there was an immediate call for Driver/Mechs trained on tracked vehicles, and as happens in the army, the COs generally sent their troublemakers and attitude-cases. Duty on Kangaroos suited these gentlemen well...

The three I know of for sure are all gone now, one KIA in Feb 1945, one having died three years ago, and the last, my friend Arnold Faragher, more than a year ago. They had all been together since enlistment, and something tells me the other two were waiting for Arnold when he crossed over...

There will have been others as well, presumably 'volunteers' from the Elgins and elsewhere. I just wish we had a complete roll of the originals.

Thanks, Marko, you've done a wonderful job. We'll have to get someone on-the-ground over there to look it up, talk to the locals and see what remains.

Cheers,

Geoff